Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sunday Dinner Chicken & Rice

This was one of my family's favorite meals growing up.  It was always made on Sundays & put in the oven before church.  We loved smelling the wonderful aroma right when we opened the door after church! 

We've been making this in our family as well for the past 12 years.  It is one of my husbands favorites & one of the first meals I ever cooked for him after we were married.  (Although he loves anything with rice...so it couldn't go wrong!)

And I just found out that this is a recipe from my Grandma Wilson that she used to make for her children (my Dad's Mom).  After all these years I never knew that's where this recipe orignated...it will now forever make me think of my Grandma when we have it!  She was such a wonderful lady that I wish I would have been able to get to know better.  She passed away when I was 12, I believe, but I would love to have her counsel now that I'm a mother!  She raised 13 children...yes, they were all her own, and her & my Grandpa's posterity is now over 350, I believe!!  What a legacy they left!  And what a wonderful recipe!!

Sunday Dinner Chicken & Rice
2 cups rice (white or brown)
2 can cream of mushroom soup
3 1/2 cans milk
1 envelope onion soup mix
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Mix soups with the milk in a large casserole dish.  Add the rice and stir to combine.  Place chicken on top of the rice and cover.  Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours. 
The time can be adjusted as well (as follows)
325 degrees for 2 1/2 hours
300 degrees for 3 hours
275 degrees for 3 1/2 hours
The wonderful, lovely rice...SO GOOD!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...