Saturday, May 8, 2010

BLT's made with homemade white bread!

To me there is nothing better than a BLT on homemade bread with crispy crunchy bacon and lettuce and garden fresh tomatoes!! We had just that last night (all except the garden fresh tomatoes...hopefully we'll get some this year!! I must have planted 10-15 tomato plants last year and we did not even get to eat one ripe tomato. But I'm optimistic for this year!) Anyway, back to the BLT...everyone knows how to put together a BLT, so I'm going to post my bread recipe that I used for it. I love this bread because you can have it fresh from the oven in about an hour and 15 minutes!! Gotta love that!! So anyway, here's the recipe!

Quick and Easy White Bread
2 Tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups HOT water
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
5 Tablespoons oil
6 cups flour, divided

Put the yeast in the 1/2 cup of warm water and let sit. Mix together the Hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of the flour in a mixer (kitchen aide or bosch or whatever you have). Mix with whips until dough is smooth. Pour in the yeast and rest of the flour and trade in your dough arm in your mixer. Turn mixer on and add more flour if needed (the dough should "clean" your bowl) and let it knead the dough for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, grease 2 bread pans (I just spray mine!). When the dough is finished kneading separate it into 2 loaves and work it into a loaf. I've seen people roll their dough out and then roll it and pinch the ends...it's supposed to make it so there are no air pockets, but I just work mine with my hands and I've never had a problem with air pockets so whichever you perfer I guess!:) Place each loaf in a pan and cover with a dish towel and let raise for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place loaves in oven and cook for about 35-40 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and butter the top while still warm. You can now take them out of the pans and eat. They are a little hard to cut when it is so warm, but so yummy.

For the BLT's I cut them after they had been sitting out for about 10 minutes and they were still pretty hot inside, but we toasted them which helped them hold together better for the sandwhich. So, toast your bread, spread Miracle whip (not mayo!!!!) place bacon, lettuce, and tomato...and cheese if you're that kind of person (I AM!) and then top with your other slice of bread. My kids and hubby also like mustard on theirs but I just like to use Miracle whip on both sides, so just do it how you like it and then ENJOY!

5 comments:

-Susan- said...

I'm starting to wear a bib when I log onto your blog. This looks deeelicious! Your'e my inspiration Jana. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Jana said...

Same to you Susan...thanks for stopping by!:)

Amy S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy S. said...

Have to say, this was amazing! - Made some last week, and both loves were gone by Thursday! - I'll be making more tonight for the coming week! :) I don't know if we'll ever buy store made bread again!

Jana said...

So glad you liked it...it is my go-to bread recipe! We always eat one loaf warm right out of the oven with butter & jam! YUM!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...