Monday, February 25, 2013

Cheesy Jalapeno Bread

I grew up in a small town where we had a Maverik gas station.  It was the happenin' place!  (Yes, I know it's a gas station...we hicks had to have something to do!:))  I've never been a big soda drinker, so when everyone else went to get their soda fix, I was buying their cheesy bread.  It wasn't until I married my husband, who likes all things spicy, that I started to appreciate the jalapenos.  I'm still a wimp, but I love the taste, so I go for it!

We moved away from home 10 years ago and guess what?  No Maveriks around anymore...until about a month ago.  YES...we now have a Maverik in our home town!  (You wouldn't believe the excitement that a new gas station has caused...I guess we're a bunch of hicks here too!:))  Anyway, I was reminded of this bread again after my 5 year old begged for about a week to go to "the Maverik".  He was in heaven...he wanted to try everything, but settled for an orange slushie.  I of course got some cheesy jalapeno bread.  It wasn't as good as I remembered it, so I decided I'd make my own.

Now this recipe is a lot like how I remember the stuff...soft & cheesy!

Cheesy Jalapeno Bread


For the bread: (makes 2 loaves)
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
3-4 cups flour

Toppings:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (powder stuff)
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
banana peppers
jalapeno peppers

Place warm water, yeast and sugar in a mixer.  Let sit for about 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.  Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.  Add remaining flour until dough comes together.  It should be soft and just a little sticky to touch.

Take half of the dough and roll it out into an oval about 1/4 inch thick.  This by no means needs to be perfect!  Transfer to a greased cookie sheet.


Spread half of the olive oil onto bread, just enough to lightly coat the bread using the back of a spoon.


Sprinkle half of the garlic & Parmesan cheese over the oil.


Now take half of the mozzarella and spread over the garlic/Parmesan mixture.  Top with your pick of banana peppers or jalapenos.  We like both!  And I like to use the "tamed" jalapenos which still have a kick to them I think, but if you like the heat go for the regular ones!  


Now sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the peppers and then the Italian seasoning over that.


Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is starting to brown.

Cut into strips using a pizza cutter & dig in!  We also like to just rip pieces off when it's cooled just a little...oooohhhh mmmmmm!!:)

This recipe makes 2 loaves, so start the whole process over with the other half!  They are also scrumptious with olives on them!  Just FYI.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...