Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Black-eyed Pea Soup (for crockpot!)

I wish I used my crockpot more...I always feel so good when I've got dinner ready and cooking by noon! Nothing better than being asked at 5:30 what's for dinner and actually having a response...takes my hubby and kids by surprise every time I don't say "I don't know!" So with that here's an AWESOME recipe that even my kids enjoyed.

Black-eyed Pea Soup
 (by 365 Crockpot!)
1 pound dried black eyed peas
1 pound spicy sausage (I used some kielbasa sausage)
6 cups chicken broth
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
4 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Tabasco sauce (to taste...or omit!)

Soak your beans overnight. (This is the hardest part for me to remember...don't forget!:)) Drain in the morning.

Dice the veggies, and put them into your crockpot with the beans. Add your sliced sausage and then pour in the broth, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for about 6.

Ladle into bowls, and add Tabasco sauce to taste...or if you're a wimp like me, just don't even go there!:)

7 comments:

Mariel said...

Love this! Just pinned and I'm sharing on Facebook right now! (Oh, I'll get your new picture up soon. Thanks for sending it.)

Jana said...

It's one of our favorites too! Thanks for sharing!

Haylee said...

Thanks for the yummy recipe! I found you on pinterest. I forgot to soak my beans so I did the quick method according to the package and that worked fine. I also rendered the fat of the sausage on the stove top with all the aromatics. The whole family loved!

Jana said...

That's the hardest part...remembering to soak those beans!!!:) Glad there is an alternative just in case! Glad you all liked it!

Anonymous said...

Would polish sausage work?

Jana said...

Yes!! I think that would taste fabulous!:)

Anonymous said...

So I finally remembered to get those beans soaked :-p I just finished my bowl of soup and let me tell you....It's awesome! I used polish sausage and it worked great. Definitely keeping this recipe! Great work Jana! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...