Monday, April 5, 2010

Breadsticks with Cheese dip!

This is one of my Conference staples!! I don't make this very often, but almost always have it during conference weekend! It is absolutely one of my favorites!!

So first you need to make some breadsticks.

Breadsticks

1 Tablspoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups hot water
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
5 Tablespoons oil
6 cups flour, divided

Combine 1/2 cup of warm water with yeast and set aside to do it's magic:). Mix hot water, sugar, salt, oil, and 3 cups of the flour in your mixer and mix until smooth. (This can also be done without a mixer, just takes more arm muscles!) Add the yeast and the rest of the flour and mix in mixer for about 10 minutes. Or if mixing by hand, this is what I used to do before I had my Bosch mixer...Mix the dough until it is all incorporated then let it sit for 10 minutes (use a timer). When the 10 minutes is up come and knead the dough for about 5 minutes, then let it sit for another 10 minutes and then knead for 5 minutes...do this about 5 times and it will be ready to go!

At this point you could divide the loaf in half and have 2 loaves of bread, but for breadsticks here's what you'll want to do.

Melt about 1 1/2 sticks of butter or margarine in the microwave. Pour enough of the butter to cover the bottom of a large cookie sheet. Next, roll you dough into a rough rectangular shape to fit on the cookie sheet. I usually roll mine out a little larger because of the elacticity of the dough...it will pull back in once it's in the pan. When it's ready transfer it to the cookie sheet, I usually fold it in half like you would when making pie crust and transfer it that way. Just be careful because if your dough is too sticky you're gonna have to start over! Once in the cookie sheet I use my pizza cutter to cut the breadsticks. You can make them whatever size you'd like. I usually run my cutter to make about 1" size breadsticks the short way and then one cut up the middle the long way. Now spread the rest of the butter on the top of the breadsticks and then sprinkle with garlic powder, parmesean cheese, and italian seasonings.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.

Now for the cheese dip. YUMMY!

Cheese Dip

8 oz. (or 1 cup) cream cheese, softened
8 oz. (or 1 cup) sour cream
8 oz. (or 1 cup) Cheese Whiz (I've used off brands of this and it never turns out as good...just a heads up!)
1 can (4 oz.) of diced green chilies

Put cream cheese, sour cream and cheese whiz in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 2 minutes and remove and stir. Put back in microwave for another minute and stir. Continue until the cream cheese is melted and incorporated with all the other ingredients. I use a whisk because it helps the mixture become nice and smooth. Once it is smooth and all mixed together add the green chilies and you're ready to roll! It is best served warm with warm breadsticks.

I think I just might go and have one now! Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...