Monday, October 19, 2009

The best Apple Pie EVER!! (And Pie Crust Recipe)

I know I just posted a recipe for Apple pie...just disregard that one and make this one!!!! First off, sorry there is no picture of the pie...we ate it so fast I didn't even think about a picture it was so good! My friend Brittony made it and gave it to us. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Seriously it is so good and Tony's favorite dessert is Apple pie and I've never really been good and making them, but I don't think this recipe can go wrong! So Tony's happy that he'll probably get more apple pie! So here it is!

Scrumptious Apple Pie

1 pie crust
6 to 7 cups peeled and slice Granny Smith Apples (Brittony said she just used Gala's and they were really good, although I've heard that Granny smith are the best to use because they are tart and complement the sweet really well...so whatever I guess!:))
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 jar (or more) caramel topping

In a bowl mix peeled apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside. Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter, then add in brown sugar, oats, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Add apples to prepared pie shell and top with crumb topping. Cover crust edges with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove foil from crust and place back into the oven for another 30 minutes. Chop pecans, and when five minutes remain, sprinkle them over the pie. Finish baking.
Remove the pie from the oven and pour 1/2 jar (or more) of caramel topping over the top. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
(This is HEAVEN with some vanilla ice cream while it is still warm!)

Now for the BEST pie crust I've had. I don't like to make pies that much because I HATE making pie crusts, so whenever I make a pie I buy my pie crust and they really aren't that good, so I've never become a big fan of pie, but this pie crust was melt in your mouth good. The layers seriously just melted in my mouth! So when I make my next pie, hopefully remembering how good it was will help me through the process!:)

PERFECT PIE CRUST
1 1/2 cups crisco
3 cups flour
1 egg
5 Tablespoons cold water
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter, gradually work the crisco into the flour for about 3 or 4 minutes until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add 5 Tablespoons of cold water, 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 tsp. of salt. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
Separate the dough into thirds. Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into ta large Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of cough (about 1/2 inch thick) to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. (If you will be using it immediately it's a good idea to put them in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to chill.)
When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. On a floured surface roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it's a bit too moist.) If the dough is sticking to the counter top use a metal spatula and carefully scrape it up and flip it over and continue rolling until it's about 1/2 inch larger, in diameter than that of your pie pan.
With a spatula, lift the dough carefully from the surface of the counter onto the pie pan. Gently press the dough against the corner of the pan. Go around the pie pan pinching and tucking the dough to make a clean edge.

These recipes were found by my friend Brittony at pioneerwoman.com. LOVE HER! (both of them!:))

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...