Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apple/Cherry pie

So I was really excited to make these cool little pies so I went all over town looking for the "squatty" 1/2 pint canning bottles and nobody had any, so I had to just make normal pies! They were still good, but wanted to try out the little ones. Here's a link to where I got the recipe for the little pies. They look so cute and so yummy!

Apple Pie

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6-7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
1 Tablespoon butter
1 egg white
additional sugar
In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.

Cherry Pie

I used refrigerated pie dough (because I HATE making it!) and layed it in the bottom of another pie plate. Then I used pie filling that I bought from the store (I know it's never as good, but I was being lazy!:)) and just added some almond extract and mixed it together and then poured it over the crust. Then I made a crumble for the top since I like those the best. The recipe for that was:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
4 Tablespoons oats
1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
6 Tablespoons cold butter
Combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter. (I usually end up using my hand...so much easier!) Add oats and stir to combine.
Sprinkle over the cherries and bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...