Friday, November 22, 2013

Candy Apple Pie

It has been such a fun week of pies!  Look for a re-cap of some of my favorite pies this weekend, PLUS next week we'll bring you our Thanksgiving must-haves!  I love this time of year!!

Everyone needs a fabulous Apple Pie for Thanksgiving.  It's my husbands favorite kind of pie, so I've been trying to perfect an apple pie for him and have never really gotten it down...until now!  I'm so excited for him to try it! I texted him this morning after I took a bite (yes, I've eaten pie for breakfast every morning this week!:)) to let him know I've finally made the perfect apple pie!  Yay!

I love the candy topping of the apple pie.  It is the perfect combination to go with the tartness of the apples!  It is beautiful!  It's radiant!  It's Glorious!!!  I can't enough about this pie...delicious!!!

Candy Apple Pie
2 9" pie crusts (bottom & top)
6 cups peeled, thinly cut apples (Granny smith or any other tart apple)
2 tablespoons lime juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter

Topping:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Toss apples with lime juice in a large bowl.  Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt together in a separate bowl.  Combine the apples with the sugar mixture until apples are coated.

Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9" pie plate.  Pour apples into crust.  Cover apples with 2nd pie crust and flute the edges high.  Cut a few steam vents into the top of the crust.  Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until crust is browned.


For the topping, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat.  Add brown sugar and whipping cream and stir constantly until mixture boils.  Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans.  Pour over the top crust of the apple pie and return to the oven for 4 minutes or until candy topping bubbles.

Best served warm with ice cream or whipped cream!  YUMMY!!!

1 comment:

Frenchy and Stupid said...

I liked your blog thanks for sharing this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...