Just in case you missed it, "We're Thankful for Pie Night" is an annual tradition that we have had in the family for about 6 or 7 years now. Instead of waiting until Thanksgiving night when everyone is stuffed with turkey, potatoes & all that yumminess, we have Pie Night the evening before Thanksgiving. That way you can enjoy pie to your hearts content! Here's a re-cap of "We're Thankful for Pie Night" 2011 and 2010.
This is my favorite time of the year! We've got pie on the mind (and in the tummy...someone had to sacrifice and try them all!:)) and are so excited to share these wonderful recipes with everyone!
First up is the very wonderful Blackberry Pie. I love the sweet & tart taste of this pie. It is just perfect, especially if you serve it with some vanilla ice cream. This one will be gone fast. It's pretty and delicious!
5 packages (6 oz. each) fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Pie dough for 2 crusts
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place a large cookie sheet on the middle rack.
1. Wash blackberries and drain excess water. Place in a large bowl.
2. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
3. Add the sugar and corn starch.
4. Toss with a spoon until berries are coated.
5. Let sit for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
6. Coarsely mash berries with potato masher.
7. Put an unbaked pie crust on the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Pour the mashed berries into pie shell.
8. Take your other pie crust & roll it out on your counter.
9. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips about 1/2 inch thick.
10. Lay strips of dough in one direction over top the blackberry filling.
11. Working in the opposite direction, place dough strip on filling in an over/under pattern.
12. Continue with all strips until pie is covere.
13. Trip the excess dough around the edged and make a fluted crust.
Let the pie cool before serving.
Really yummy served warm with vanilla ice cream. You can nuke it in the microwave for a little while if desired.