Friday, November 5, 2010

Corn Chowder with Chillies

I can't remember where I found this recipe but I knew when I saw it that it would be something Tony (the hubby) would really like. Well, I finally got around to trying it out last night.

I wasn't familiar with one of the ingredients (the Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce), but it was easy to find by the diced green chillies. After I opened the can and started dicing my eyes started watering like I was cutting an onion. I just figured it would have heat like an onion does or something so I kept going. (Usually if it's something that's really hot I feel it in my throat when I'm cutting them and I start to cough...like Jalapeno's) Anyway, while it was cooking it smelled really good and looked really yummy, but my son Caleb (who was reading at the counter) had to leave because his eyes were hurting him...I figured he'd just been up too long and was tired!

Well, the time came to sit down for dinner and I ladeled some soup into eveyone's bowls. Caleb came to the table still complaining about his eyes so I looked at them and they were so red and bloodshot! I started wondering if it wasn't from the soup because mine were still watering and burning a little as well. Tony was the first to taste the soup while I was getting everyone some buttered bread to go with it. I knew we were in trouble when I saw him start panting like a dog. His words "It's got a little kick!" And he's not a baby when it comes to this stuff either...he likes some heat and a little kick. Me and the kids...not so much! I decided to give it a try not knowing if he was just messing with me...he wasn't! I took one bite and it was actually really good for the first 2 seconds! Then the heat hit! I'm a wimp anyway, but this was the hottest thing I've ever tasted! The kids all tried it and immediately went to their drinks. So, the kids and I had sandwiches for dinner last night, but Tony ate 2 bowls of the soup!:)

I will definately make this one again...but I will change it up a little. Tony thinks it would be really good with some potatoes in there too, and I would most definately NOT put in the chipotle peppers! Anyway, if you like to have a burning mouth like my hubby give this one a shot...if you actually want to TASTE the soup I'd recommend leaving out the chipotle peppers so you have some taste buds left to enjoy the flavors of the chowder!

So without further ado (sorry about the LONG introduction!) here's the recipe:

Corn Chowder with Chillies
2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 whole yellow onion, diced
4 cups frozen corn or 5 ears of corn shucked with kernels off the cob
2 whole Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, finely diced (found in the mexican isle)
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chillies
32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (I used skim milk...trying to watch our calories...and it worked just fine!)
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons corn meal or masa (I used corn meal)
1/4 cup water

Add bacon pieces to a pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Cook for a couple of minutes. Throw in diced onion and stir, cooking the onion for 3 to 4 minutes. Add butter and melt. Add corn. Stir and cook for one minute. Add both kinds of chillies and stir.

Pour in chicken broth and cream (or milk). Add salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.

Combine cornmeal (or masa) with water. Stir to combine, then pour into the chowder. Cover and cook for 15 minutes over low heat. If chowder needs more thickening, add another tablespoon of cornmeal mixed with water. Or just use some cornstarch which is what I did, but I'm thinking if you use the cream instead of milk you probably won't have to do this at all.

Serve with your choice of bread or in a bread bowl...or with saltines...and A LOT of milk to drink!!

Let me know if you try this and if your tongues survive!:)

1 comment:

Sheans said...

I've done the same thing with the chipotle in adobo. I think it was in chimichangas or something. Man, those things have a serious kick. I've started just scooping out the adobo sauce and making sure there aren't any seeds in it. It doesn't have as much kick.

My eyes are watering just thinking about those things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...