Monday, May 20, 2013

Gooey Almond Coconut Cereal Treat

I've been wanting to share this recipe with everyone for SO long, but just haven't because I could not come up with a name good enough for it!  I got the recipe from my sister-in-law, she's been making it for family get togethers for YEARS, and it is always requested...and devoured!  We just call it Candy's chex mix, but I thought it needed something better, so I asked my kids what they thought we should call it.  I thought my 10 year old Eli's answer described it perfectly...he said we should call it yummy goodness!:)  And that it is!!  But I didn't think that was an actual name, so this long descriptive name is what you get.  

It's perfect to wrap up and give to teachers, neighbors, friends.  Just know that if you give it away you will be hounded by everyone to make them more!  But I guess that's better than eating every last bit yourself! 

Gooey Almond Coconut Cereal Treat
PRINT RECIPE
 

1 box (12 oz.) Rice Chex cereal (off brand works great)
1 box (12 oz.) Golden Grahams cereal (off brand works great here too!:))
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups corn syrup

Combine both cereals, almonds and coconut in a large bowl.  

In a medium sized sauce pan add butter, sugar and corn syrup.  Cook over medium heat until it reaches the soft ball stage.  That's between 230-240 degrees using a candy thermometer.  Or you can use the method we used growing up (and I still use today).  Get a small cup and fill it with cold water.  Test the syrup by adding a little drop into the cold water.  Use your fingers and if you can mold it into a ball and it will stay formed but is still soft you've got soft ball stage...pretty easy!

Pour syrup over cereal mixture and using a wooden spoon stir until all pieces are well coated.  Dump onto wax paper until cooled.  Pull it apart into chunks and store in bags or any airtight container.

And for your info...the cute little cups I used to put the yummy goodness in I purchased from Pick Your Plum.  I love them!:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...