Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Taco Cupcakes

When Caleb (11 year old) told me he wanted Spanish Rice and Ravioli's for his birthday dinner, I was kind of grossed out. (ok, a LOT grossed out!)  Not because I don't like either one, but because they just don't go together.  So I made him choose.  He decided he'd rather have Spanish rice than the ravioli's and I told him I'd find something great to go with it.  And I did!

When you say the words taco's and cupcakes in the same sentence, it just doesn't sound appealing in the least to me.  But trust me when I say these are a kids dream!!  If your kiddo's like taco's they will love these!

And I love that they can be "dressed up" for adults too.  Add some sour cream and guacamole and you've got a little piece of Taco Cupcake heaven!! 

And to make these even more appealing...they are on the light side!  Each cupcake has 164 calories (without the sour cream or guacamole) and is 4 WW points!

Taco Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Emily Bites
1 pound lean ground beef (or lean ground turkey or chicken)
1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
wonton wrappers (found in the produce section)
queso dip (I used Tostitos)
Chunky Salsa
1-1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use reduced fat for calories and WW points listed above)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Brown beef (of meat of choice) with taco seasoning in a frying pan over medium high heat.  Add the black beans and cook a few minutes until heated through.

Grease 2 muffin tins lightly with cooking spray.  Push a wonton wrapper in the bottom each cup.  Spoon a teaspoon of queso into the bottom and spread.  Follow with a spoonful of meat mixture, then a spoonful of salsa, and then sprinkle with some cheese.

Take more wonton wrappers and place over cheese, with corners of wrapper in between the corners of the first layer wrappers. Repeat the layers.

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the wonton wrappers are golden brown.  Let them cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Serve plain or topped with sour cream and guacamole!  YUM!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...