Monday, September 17, 2012

Homemade Playdough

This is the first recipe here on Double the Deliciousness that isn't something you're supposed to eat.  Of course you can, but unlike everything else on this site...it won't taste very good!:)
I was asked to make playdough for Rhett's (my Kindergartner) class a couple of weeks ago.  I've made a few different kinds in my years of being a Mom, but never really found one that was awesome.  They always dried out really quickly or they just crumbled.  So, I took to the internet.  I searched A LOT of recipes & finally decided to try this one.  It looked like it would be perfect...and it was!!  Yeah!

 A few things I really liked about his recipe are that it calls for cream of tartar, which helps the dough stay together & not crumble all over the place. Also, it has a lot less salt than most of the other recipes which will help it to not dry out. 
The texture of this dough is the closest thing you're going to find to the real deal.  Honest!  And you can make these any color you like and can even add sparkles to make it a little more fun!
Homemade Playdough

3 cups flour
3 cups water
3/4 cup salt
3 tablespoons oil (I used canola, but I'm sure any kind would work)
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
food coloring

Combine all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan.  Stir until mostly smooth.  A whisk really helps here!


Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly using a wooden spoon.  The mixture will start to clump, make sure to scrape down the bottom of the pan with your spoon throughout this process.  It shouldn't take too long before you notice it thickening/clumping. 

See those clumps of mess in there...that's good! 


Just keep stirring!  Your arm may feel like it's about to fall off, but keep it going!  The mixture will start to all clump together.


Once it is all stuck together and forms a big blog, remove from the heat.

This is how it'll look when it's ready.


Place dough on your counter and knead.  It's nice and warm and squishy.  If you've got kids around to help you they'll love this part!  Just make sure it's not too hot for them.



After you're done kneading and the playdough is formed, lay on counter to cool down.


Once it's completely cooled, shape into a square.  Using a pizza cutter, cut into as many pieces as you need.  I needed about 13 of each color, so I did 4 x 4, that way I could have a few left-over for home.  Store in air-tight container; Ziploc baggies work great!

  
Recipe adapted from adelynSTONE


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've been wanting to try a homemade play dough recipe...thanks so much for sharing! My 6 yr. old and I are going to have to give it a try. :-)

Jana said...

You'll have so much fun making it together & your 6 year old will love playing with it. Thanks for stopping by!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...