Monday, May 14, 2012

Smoky Red Beans & Rice

I know everyone is probably shocked that today's recipe isn't a cupcake.  What can I say...I've made a TON of cupcakes in the last couple of weeks & I want to share them ALL with you! 

I've still got 4 more cupcake recipes waiting, but I decided we should at least throw in one recipe that's a little heartier & healthier before I dive back into the cupcakes (and don't you worry, there will be one coming this week sometime!)

My hubby (Tony) could live on rice I believe.  He would love to have some with every meal.  So when I found this recipe I thought it would be one he would love.  And it was.  And the kid's really liked it.  And it's pretty inexpensive to make.  And it's low in fat.  And it's super filling.  And it's really easy to throw together. 

Now doesn't that make you want to go try it TODAY!!

Smoky Red Beans & Rice
Budget Dinner: about $.93 per serving.
Recipe from Our Best Bites
1 pound dry red kidney beans
6 cups water
5 bouillon cubes
1 Kielbasa sausage, cut into bite size pieces
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's is good & you can find it at Walmart & most grocery stores)
3/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon coriander
3/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups water
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cups long-grain rice (we love jasmine rice)

Place beans in your crockpot & cover with water.  Let sit overnight without turning on your crockpot.

In the morning, rinse & drain beans.  Put them back in the crockpot along with the water, bouillon, sausage, garlic, liquid smoke, creole seasoning, cumin, coriander, oregano and cinnamon.  Cook on low all-day.  (Put it together in the morning & it will be ready by 5:00 or 6:00, perfect for dinner!)

When the beans are tender you can mash some of them or most of them or all of them.  Just whatever your preferences are.  I just pulled a few to the side of the crockpot & using a fork mashed them.  That works pretty good.

When it's about time to eat, start the rice.  In a medium saucepan bring your water, vinegar & rice to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and cover.  Cook for 20 minutes.

When rice is done you're ready to serve!  Just place a large ladle of beans into a bowl & top with some rice.  Dig in!! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...