Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Root Beer Float Cupcakes

Cute story I have to start out with today since I'm thinking about my youngest son Rhett.  These cupcakes were for his 5th birthday and he is graduating from preschool next week and I'm going to miss it because I'll be in Tennessee with my other 2 boys for their DI Competition.  This emotional momma's having a rough time dealing with that!
So please bear with me!
 
 
(Just a little teaser for you to help you make it through this momma's ramblings!:))
While we were sitting in church Sunday on Mother's Day (and after being spoiled by my family), Rhett turns to me and tells me that tomorrow (Monday) is going to be Rhetty Day and that everyone has to buy him pressents!  I guess he figured since Mom's get a special day he should too! 

I chuckled and didn't think about it much until Monday rolled around.  After I picked Rhett up from school he said, "Oh yeah, it's Rhetty Day!  Did you get me some presents?" 

Um, sorry...no.  But I did get Subway for lunch & he loves Subway, so that was his special lunch for Rhetty Day.  He was a little disappointed when there were no presents waiting for him at home, but we had a fun day & I guess that made up for it! 

I totally dropped the ball on Rhetty Day, but I only got a days notice that it even existed!:)  Next year!

Ok, back to the cupcakes.  Our family has been off soda/pop/carbonation of any kind since August 2011.  Our goal was to go the entire school year without any soda!  We have all done great & are almost there!  The kid's have missed it a bit and so I thought these would be fun.  No actual root beer, but we still get the root beer flavor...and in a cupcake!! 

YES!!

Root Beer Float Cupcakes
For the cake:
1 box vanilla cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup sour cream
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
For the Root Beer Buttercream:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons root beer extract
Root beer ice cream topping (for drizzle on top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.

Mix cake mix, eggs, oil, sour cream, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth.  Scoop batter into liners about 3/4 full.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Remove to wire rack and let cool completely.

When cupcakes are cooled prepare frosting by creaming the butter and cream cheese.  Add the root beer extract and mix to incorporate.  Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency.

Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and drizzle a little root beer ice cream topping on top.  You could also use root beer barrells to top.  You could just top it with a whole barrell, or you could crush some of the barrells and sprinkle them on top.

Just like eating a Root Beer Float!!

(Here's these pictures again of the birthday boy with his cupcakes.  He thinks it's fun to make a different face everytime I take a picture!  What a silly, cute boy!!)
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...