Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Almond Joy Pie

Just in case you're wondering...I sometimes fail at cooking! 

Take last week for starters.  I had some butternut squash & I'd always wanted to try my hand at butternut squash soup.  So, I talked to my Mom (they tease about how much I call her needing a recipe...they even answer the phone with "what recipe do you need" occasionally!), looked on-line and got a game plan. 

Well, I thought it was okay.  The first few bites it was quite good, but by the end of the bowl I had to force it down.  Tony (the hubby) and all 4 kids DETESTED it!  I had to bribe them with fresh homemade rolls to finish and there was so much whimpering at the table you'd think we owned dogs!:) 

My Eli (8 years old) who loves MAN eating shows, especially Diners, Drive-In's and Dives, and Man vs. Food, comented "In this food challenge, food definately won!"  (that will make sense to any Adam Richmond fans out there!:))  It made me laugh, even though they all hated it!

I asked Tony what he really thought (he doused his with Tapatio and ate it without complaining).  This was his reply, "I wouldn't put it on your blog!" 

So, needless to say, you will not be finding that one here today (or EVER!), but instead I'm giving you one of the best pies I've ever had...thanks to Pinterest.  (follow me, just click the icon on the right hand side)  Almonds Joy's have always been my favorite candy bar so to find it in PIE FORM....I'm totally there!

Almond Joy Pie
Recipe adapted from Barbara Bakes
Pin It
Chocolate Crumb Crust:
1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate wafers (the chocolate animal crackers work great and they are less expensive)
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Crush chocoalte wafers.  I just use my blender...so fast and easy.  You can also put them in a large ziplock baggie and use a rolling pin to crush them.  Add the sugar and butter and mix together until all crumbs are moistened.  Press firmly into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan.  Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool completely.

The filling:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3/4 cup cream of coconut (found by the drink mixers)
3 beaten egg yolks
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 cup flaked coconut
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium sized saucepan.  Slowly stir in the milk and cream of coconut while whisking.  While stirring, cook over medium heat until it becomes thick and bubbly.  Continue stirring and cook for an additional 2 minutes; set aside.  Beat egg yolks in a seperate bowl, and then slowly add about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture while continually stirring.  Return milk mixture to the original pan and place back on the heat and cook until bubbly then time it for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.  Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until melted.  Stir in the coconut and vanilla and then pour the hot filling into the cooled chocolate crumb crust. 

 
Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.  Before serving, top with whipped cream, drizzle with hot fudge sauce and sprinkle with sliced almonds.


Drool!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...