Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Whoopie Pies

This will be short and sweet since I've got about a quadrabillion things to do today!  We're flying out tomorrow for Kentucky to attend my Grandma's funeral.  Oh, how I LOVE that lady!  It's a bitter-sweet time for me.  I'm sad that she's gone, but I get to return to Kentucky where my Mom grew up and to the place where I spent weeks at a time during the summers with my family growing up.  Lot's of good memories, and I haven't been back in over 15 years.  It'll be hard going knowing she won't be there to greet me, and staying in her home that I have so many memories of her in............Oh my goodness!  I had to take a little break, I got myself going again...couldn't even see the keyboard!  I'd better stop so I can finish this up and get back to cleaning & packing!:)

So anyway, this is a cookie that Kyla and I came up with when we went on that whoopie pie kick a few months ago.   Remember THESE?  They were part of that kick as well!:) 

These are delicious!  Especially if you're a lemon lover, like myself.

Lemon Poppyseed Whoopie Pies
1 box lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 Tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon almond extract

Frosting (for filling):
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil together in a mixer.  Batter will be sticky.  Add the poppy seeds and extract and mix to combine.  Scoop dough onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes.  Remove and let sit on pan for about 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

When cookies have cooled, mix up your frosting.  Beat the butter until light and fluffy.  Add the powdered sugar and lemon juice until you get the desired consistency.  Add the lemon zest and mix to combine. 

Place half the cookie upside down and pipe (or spread with a knife) frosting on.  Cover with the other cookie to make your cookie sandwich. 

LOVE!:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...