Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sweet & Sour Chicken

Remember that Fried Rice we posted from a couple of days ago?  Well, here's the perfect main dish to accompany it!
 
This chicken is a little messy to make, at least for me, because I like to coat the chicken with my hands...it's just so much easier!  But if that grosses you out, you are more than welcome to use whatever utensil you have to help you out.
 
I've realized that most of my recipes are gauged by whether or not "the kid's liked it".  What can I say, I'm a Mom who likes to feed her kids stuff they like (forget about the soup debacle!)  Just in case you didn't catch it, I was typing that last sentence laced with sarcasm.  My kid's eat what I fix or they go hungry.  Mom of the year right here!  I am very blessed that I don't have picky eater children....life would be so bland!
 
Which is NOT at all a word you could use to describe this chicken.  It's just a tad addicting too, so watch out!
 
Sweet & Sour Chicken

4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
1-1 1/2 cups corn starch
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

The sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  While your pan is heating, prepare the chicken by rinsing the chicken breasts in cold water and trimming off any fat.  Cut chicken into cubes about 1" in size.  Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
 
 
Place corn starch and beaten eggs in small bowls.  Make an assembly line to your pan.  Starting with the chicken farthest from your pan, then the corn starch and then the eggs.

 
First place the chicken in the corn starch and mix around until coated.

 
Then place in the egg mixture and coat.  This is where it gets messy for me.  By the time I'm done with all the chicken my fingers are 3 times their size because they are coated as well!:)

 
Now throw that chicken into your hot oiled pan.

 
Cook chicken stirring occasionally until it the outside is browned but not cooked through.  Place in a 9 x 13 greased baking pan.

 
Mix all the sauce ingredients together & then pour over the chicken pieces.

 
Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  I set my timer for 15 minutes or else I forget to stir, and just keep doing that for 1 hour.:)  The sauce will thicken towards the end of the cooking & you'll have an awesome dish that your family (or whomever you are making it for) will LOVE!!
 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...