Monday, September 19, 2011

Mexi-Dip

Thinking of my Grandma this morning.  She lives over 1500 miles away and I haven't seen her in over 5 years!  This is her recipe (tweaked just a little!), and I'm sitting here looking at her hand written recipe & can't help but think about what a wonderful Grandma she has been all these years! 

We used to love to try to scare each other.  I'd sneak up on her and she'd sneak up on me...I'm pretty sure my love of scaring my hubby and kid's stemmed from this "game" I'd play with Granny!!

I really got Kyla a while back....I still don't think she's forgiven me!  You've probably all done this little scare trick before, but I still think about it and laugh!  I was cutting vegetables...do you see where I'm going with this??:)  Went to the fridge and got some ketchup on my finger, and when the moment was right I sold it!!  Kyla's face was priceless and she took off running up the stairs.  She heard me laughing and knew I had gotten her!  I then "scolded" her for taking off and not trying to help my badly wounded finger.  She said she was running upstairs to get Dad until she heard me laughing! 

Such good times here at our house...it's funny how these little moments can provide so much entertainment!:)

Anyway, now that I'm done reminising...my Grandma called this Mexi-Dip.  It is known as 7-layer bean dip nowadays.  Just can't change the name...it's in her hand writing!   This is also a perfect dish for fall & football season...just sayin'!:)

Mexi-Dip

1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
3 avacados
Guacamole mix (I use concord farms found by the produce in most stores)
1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can chopped olives
2 green onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Spread the refried beans on the bottom of a 9" pie plate.  (or if you need this for a BIG crowd you can double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 cake pan!)  Mash the avacados and mix in the guacamole mix; spread over the beans.  (if you have a great guacamole recipe you can use that instead or use THIS recipe)  Mix the sour cream with the taco seasoning; spread over the guacamole.  Next spread on the salsa or pico de gallo, then sprinkle on the cheese, green onions, olives, and cilantro.  Serve with tortilla chips.  (Although I do think I could just eat this with a spoon!):)
 

1 comment:

Melinda said...

If Grandma is on your mind you need to go check your email.

I love Mexi-dip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...