Monday, April 23, 2012

Mom's Sloppy Joes

These sloppy joes are a repeat recipe here, but I knew they'd fit into my Budget Dinners, so I figured out the cost & am here to bring you my Mom's fabulous sloppy joes again!

We always use Bullseye BBQ sauce because that's my Mom's favorite, but you can use your favoirte brand.  (Just don't tell my Mom!!:))

UPDATE:  I went to the store to get some ground beef so I could make these last night & found some 93% lean ground turkey on sale for $2 a pound so I thought I'd try it.  It was delicious!  My beef lovin' hubby couldn't even tell the difference!!  Score!  And it took the price down to .58 cents a serving!  Awesome!:)

Mom's Sloppy Joes
(Budget Dinner Totals: $8.93 total.  Makes about 12 sloppy joes which equals .74 cents per sloppy joe. (not including cheese)

2 lbs. lean hamburger
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 can (8oz.) tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon Whorchestershire sauce
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 cup BULLSEYE bbq sauce
Cook hamburger and onion together until burger is no longer pink. Sift the flour over and then add the remaining ingredients. Heat the slop throughly and serve on buns.
I like to use deli rolls or something like that (the picture is taken with just regular old hamburger buns...which is still good too!) and then I will spread a little butter on the insides and then place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until a little crispy.
Place sloppy joe on bun and add a slice of cheese. Whatever kind of cheese your family likes.  I love me some Havarti on these...YUM!!
SO GOOD!! Enjoy with a salad or coleslaw!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...