Monday, April 9, 2012

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes


It's the first day of spring break for us.

And the day didn't start off so hot.  I need someone to tell me that we will make it through the teenage years! 
My daughter (Kyla...who you all know as co-author of this blog) is not even technically a teenager yet and there are some days when it's all I can do to not lose my mind!!!
For all of you who have been through this stage...please give me some reassurance.  (If all you have is bad experiences please don't share!:))
All I can say is I'm so glad I had a hair appointment this afternoon!  It's amazing how a nice hair cut and nicely waxed eyebrows can bring a little joy to your life!!
It was a much needed "time-out" for Mom!
And on days when I don't have a hair appointment...I bake!!  And I don't let anyone help me...I banish everyone from the kitchen & I just bake!  And these cupcakes might just be number one on my list of things I love to bake!  Not only are they the cutest things ever...they are downright delicious!!
Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
Recipe from Your Cup of Cake
Cake:
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup malted milk powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
 
Combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla and mix until smooth.  Add the malted milk powder and cake mix and mix until combined.

Fill cupcakes liners about 3/4 full.  Bake for 16-22 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

Let cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack.

For the Chocolate Malt Buttercream:
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup malted milk powder
1-2 Tablespoons milk

Beat the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.  Make sure to scrap down the sides of the bowl.

Add cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla and malt powder.  Beat until smooth.  Add milk to get desired consistency.

Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with a Malted milk ball & chocolate sprinkles.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...