Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Taco Seasoning Mix & Chicken Soft Tacos

We love hearing from our readers.  In comments, e-mails, through facebook, in person, you name it!!  Even if it's just a little hello, it really makes our day!

This last week we received an e-mail from a reader that just sent us over the moon!  Some of the things she shared in her e-mail were perfectly stated that I just had to share! (with her permission)

These are her words: 

"I've lived away from my family (who love food) for most of my adult life after leaving for college and I often find myself on the phone with my Mom asking her for a recipe of a favorite dish.  If I can learn how to make it, I can recreate a sense of home no matter where I happen to be. I think a culinary legacy is a very important part of family life not only to draw from in the present but also to connect us with our past as well as to pass on to future generations....I think it's terrific that your culinary legacy is being created and shared from generation to generation.  Our food tells the story of who we are."

Sounds a lot like me.  If you've been a follower of this blog for a while you know I'm always calling home getting recipes from my Mom as well. 

There are just certain dishes that will always remind me of a loved one.  Carrot Pudding with Lemon Sauce (Grandma Wilson), Aloha-Soyu Marinade (Brother Jared and wife Candy), Frape (my Dad), Mom's famous Spudnuts (my Mom), Jello Poke Cake (brother Chad), and the list could go on and on and on. 

Thanks Blayne for your wonderful words and for letting me share them with our readers!!

Taco Seasoning Mix & Chicken soft Tacos
Budget Dinner Totals: Chicken for tacos=$5.21 and makes about 12 tacos, which equals 43 cents per taco. (tortilla, rice, cheese, lettuce, sour cream & any other ingredients you stuff in there are not included in this total.)
  For the Taco Seasoning Mix:
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tablespoons salt
4 teaspoons cornstartch
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons beef bullion granules
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

Combine all ingredient and mix together.  Store in an airtight container for up to a year.  (I did the best I could figuring out how much the seasoning would cost.  From my estimations this recipe would cost you about 36 cents.  That means every tablespoon of seasoning mix you use is gonna cost you a whoppin' .06 cents...that's 1/6th of a penny!!!)
For the chicken:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup water

Cut chicken into bite size pieces.  Heat oil in large frying pan.  Add the chicken and cook until browned and chicken is cooked through.  Add the water and taco seasoning and stir to combine. 

Serve in warm tortillas with Spanish Rice, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...