Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lemon Lime Jell-O Poke Cake (Eli's Birthday Cake)

It was my little (or not so much anymore) Eli's 7th birthday yesterday and while we were out to lunch he told me he wanted a green birthday cake because St. Patrick's Day is coming up and they've been talking a lot about it in school. So I told him about Jell-O poke cakes and that sounded good to him so that's what we did! The kids LOVED it. Didn't think it had been that long since I'd made one, but none of them remembered ever eating it before so I guess it has been that long!:) Anyway, here's the recipe.

Lemon Lim Jell-O Poke Cake
1 white cake mix
1 small jell-o mix, any flavor (Eli wanted green so we used lime, but strawberry and raspberry are really good as well)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
Make the cake according to package directions. Cool cake for about 20 minutes. Using a utility fork poke cake about every 1/2 inch or so. Make Jell-O by dissolving Jell-O in the boiling water. After dissolved add the cold water. Pour the Jell-O slowly over the cake covering all the holes. Chill for 3-4 hours. This is what it should look like when finished.
Next I make what my family calls "Chad's favorite frosting". That's my brother, and growing up he didn't like the traditional frosting that you put on cakes, but loved this "pudding" frosting. So I think this is what he had for his birthday cake almost every year!
Chad's favorite frosting
1 envelope Dream Whip
1 small package instant pudding (you can use whatever flavor you would like...chocolate is really good on a white or yellow cake as well, but for this one I just used vanilla!)
1 1/2 cups cold milk
Put all ingredients into a mixer and beat until it thickens. Then frost your cake.
Next I just top that with some whipped topping and then some green sprinkles (or whatever...or nothing!) Here's the finished product! I think I'll go get me a piece of cake now!:) (It's not quite 9:00 right now...can cake be considered a breakfast food???...PLEASE!!:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...