Friday, March 9, 2012

Buttermilk Caramel Syrup

This is my favorite syrup ever!!  It is so good on Buttermilk Pancakes, Mom's Waffles, french toast, African Pancakes, etc. 

It's also to die for on vanilla ice cream, or any other dessert that call for a caramel sauce!

We had it on our African Pancakes last night & as I was oohing and aahhing about how good it was I may have said that I could just drink the stuff.  Well, Tony (hubby) and the kids started egging me on & it turned into a bet, and I'm ashamed to say I gave into temptation.  (that darn competitive streak in me!) 

I poured the syrup right into my mouth.  Ok, actually it came out a little faster than I was expecting and most of it hit my chin and drippled all down my neck and onto my shirt.  Tony was laughing so hard he had to leave the table for a minute.

It was delicious (at least the little bit that hit my mouth)!

Give it a try.  (Not the drinking of it, but on something wonderful!):)

Buttermilk Caramel Syrup
Recipe from Our Best Bites
Pin It
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup real butter (no substitutes)
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup and baking soda in a 4 quart size saucepan (or larger).

Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.  Once it reaches the boiling point, reduce the heat and simmer (make sure it keeps bubbling) while stirring for 7-9 minutes.  The syrup will start darkening as you cook.  It should get to a golden rich brown color. 

Remove from the heat and add vanilla.

It will thicken as it cools down.

Here is the syrup on our African Pancakes.  SO GOOD!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...