Monday, June 20, 2011

Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (and the best pie crust I've ever made!!)

This is the recipe I grew up eating & loving that my Mom would make.  I hadn't had this pie for over 12 years...but when my neighbor brought me over some rhubarb I knew I had to give Mom a call for the recipe and give it a try!  I call Mom quite often requesting recipes, matter of fact almost every time I call Dad teases "what recipe do you need now?":)  It's been this way the last almost 12 years since I've been married!  Anyway, I also got a fabulous pie crust recipe from Mom.  I've never had much luck with pie crusts...I really don't enjoy making them, I usually just end up buying them, but this will forever be the BEST pie crust I have ever made!!  It was so flaky and buttery and delicious!!  A definite keeper!!

Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
2 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter

Combine the sugar with the cornstarch in a small bowl.  In a large bowl combine the rhubarb, strawberries, egg and cornstarch/sugar mixture.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  Pour into uncooked 9" pie crust (recipe follows!) and dot the top with the butter and then top that with the top crust.  You can do a lattice top or whatever else you like, just make sure to cut the top so it can "breathe".   Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.  (I know that seems really high...but it works!)  After the 10 minutes, don't remove the pie, but turn the heat down to 425 degrees and continue cooking for 40 more minutes.  Check the pie when there is about 20 minutes left, if the crust is getting a little too browned go ahead and cover the edges with some tinfoil.  Remove from oven and let cool. 
side note:  it might be a good idea to place something under the pie while it is cooking...mine overflowed at the bottom of my oven and created a big mess...just a warning!:)

Now here's the crust recipe!  (This recipe also freezes very well!)

Pie Crust

4 sticks unsalted butter (don't know if margarine would work here or not, I just know the butter was PERFECT!)
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup ice water

Combine dry ingredients and butter to resemble coarse meal using 2 forks or a pastry blender (I recommend the pastry blender!:))  Add water a little at a time until dough forms.  Divide into 4 parts and flatten a little.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.  Take the dough out of the fridge and let sit for 10 minutes.  Roll out and use or place in the freezer for future use!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love the recipes! Thank you! You are helping to make our family mealtimes much more fun and delicious!

Betty said...

I have never been able to make a good pie crust, but since we have scads of mulberries, I decided to try your recipe and make a couple of pies. I was lazy and whizzed the ingredients in the food processor, but the crust turned out flaky and absolutely delicious. I may have to start making pies more often. Thank you so much.

Jana said...

Thanks so much guys...I'm so glad you are enjoying the recipes!

Betty...I'm with you, this is the first pie crust recipe I've had real success with as well! I love the food precessor idea, that would save my arm a lot of aches!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...