Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Creamy Corn Chowder

I saw a squirrel this morning on my way to work.  (I just had to shout "squirrel" to my kids out of the blue...we love UP!:))  It was just sitting on a post basking in the sun.  Made me all giddy inside...I'm hoping that's a good sign that spring is right around the corner!

BUT...before spring gets here, and all you want to make is sandwiches, salads, wraps & quesadillas (anyone? anyone else??) you've got to give this chowder a try.  It's one of my favorite soups...it is so creamy you'd never know it is made with skim milk!  And it has potatoes & bacon in it...pretty much perfection right there!

(You may recognize this recipe...it is one I shared over at Or So She Says last November...I needed it here as well!!!:))


Creamy Corn Chowder


1 package (12 oz.) bacon
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups water
5 cups milk (I use skim...still creamy!)
4 large red potatoes, diced into bite size pieces
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1 package (16 oz.) frozen sweet corn kernels
Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper

Cook the bacon until crisp and then transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool.

Melt butter in a large stock pot or sauce pan.  Add the flour and stir until it starts forming little balls of dough.  Slowly add the water while whisking.  Whisk until there are no clumps.


Add the milk and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.


Turn heat down to low and then add the potatoes, onions and garlic.  Let simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring frequently.


Crumble the bacon and then add it to the soup along with the frozen corn.


Stir all together and heat through.  Add a few drops of Tabasco and salt and pepper to taste. 



Serve with extra bacon & cheddar cheese on top if desired.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...