Monday, October 10, 2011

White Cheddar Chicken Pasta

I knew I was going to love this recipe, but it was more than I'd ever hoped for!!:))  I dare say I'd never had white cheddar before...at least not that I remember & I just have to say...IT IS SO DARN GOOD!  I had Kyla try some and we were both hooked!!  We had to make a concious decision not to eat anymore so there would be some left for the sauce!  I think I've got a new problem...just what I need!

White Cheddar Chicken Pasta
Recipe adapted from Homemade by Holman

For the Chicken:
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (I used 2 chicken breasts)
1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Olive Oil

Heat Olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Mix together mustard, thyme, salt and pepper and sprinkle over the chicken pieces.  When oil is hot, add chicken
 

and brown until cooked through. 
 

Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

For the Pasta:
1 pound rotini or other short cut pasta (bow tie or penne...I used penne)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
8 oz. sharp white cheddar
2 cups milk (I used skim...worked wonderfully)
1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
Crushed red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese to taste

Heat water to boil in a large pot for pasta.  Cook al dente and drain according to package directions.  Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet (I think it would be a great idea to do this in the same pan you cooked your chicken in...I didn't because I didn't think my pot would be big enough, but it would have been plenty big.  Missed out on some wonderful flavors!) over medium heat.  Add the flour and whisk to combine.  Then add the chicken broth, garlic, onions, and mustard.  Cook about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
 

Reduce heat to low and slowly add milk, stirring to combine.  Cook about 5-7 minutes more until mixture begins to thicken.
 

Add cheese (Heaven on a plate right there!!!) and stir to melt.
 


Add chicken and pasta and toss to incorporate sauce.  Add thyme and oregano and serve topped with crushed red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese.
 

So pretty...and delicious!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...