Friday, October 7, 2011

Turtle Bars

One of my absolute favorite combinations is caramel and pecans!  So whenever I hear turtle, my ears perk up!!  I "stumbled" upon this recipe a couple weeks ago and knew I had to try them.  We had an early out from school day and so enlisted Kyla's help in making these.  She did a great job with this new recipe and we all had one for dessert that evening.  There were quite a few leftover and I just couldn't have them sitting on my counter beckoning to me, so I took them to a meeting with me to share.  PhEw....crisis adverted!!

Turtle Bars

(I have to give a shout-out to Tony, the hubby, who has always made fun of me for taking pictures of food!!  He actually got involved and arranged this plate and set it up for our picture!  Not too bad!:))
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups quick oatmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup chocolate chips
1 jar (12 oz.) caramel syrup (caramel ice cream topping)
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine the 1st 6 ingredients until well blended.  Press half of the mixture in a 9 x 13 inch pan lined with parchment paper.  I really recommend the parchment paper because this is a sticky one and you'll have a hard time getting it out of your pan without it!  The dough is really sticky as well, but sticks nicely to the parchment, so just spread it out until it's even.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Take out of the oven and sprinkle with the chocolate chips and pecans.  Drizzle the caramel syrup over the top.  Take the remaining dough and drop by spoonfuls over the caramel to cover.  Bake 15-20 minutes more, or until golden brown.
 

They will look really gooey, and that's perfect!  Just let them cool in the pan.  When they are cooled remove the parchment paper and cut them into squares and they will just come off the paper wonderfully!  And then try to eat just one!!:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...