Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lemon Chicken

I so loved this recipe, but to be honest...I was the only one in my family that really liked it. The kids took one bite and were done (they all ended up eating PB&J for dinner!) Tony ate it, but said he'd never request to have it again. So, needless to say, I had leftovers for lunch for a few days, which I was perfectly fine with!! If you like lemon and ginger you'll probably like it.

Lemon Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 C cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 C water
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 C vegetable oil
4 green onions, sliced

Lemon Sauce
1 1/2 C water
1/2 C fresh lemon juice
3 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp honey
2 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp minced ginger

Slice chicken breasts in half and gently pound to flatten. (notice one of the cutting boards that we are giving away!)

Combine cornstarch, salt and pepper into a bowl and add in water and egg yolks. Heat oil in wok or frying pan (any kind of heavy duty skillet will work) Heat oil to about 375 degrees (my stove was set on medium high).
Dip chicken into cornstarch mixture, covering both sides lightly. Fry chicken in oil until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.

Drain on paper towel. Keep warm while you finish cooking chicken. (I just set mine in the microwave to keep warm)

Start making the lemon sauce while chicken is cooking. To make combine all ingredients in saucepan and stir until well blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens. About 5 minutes.
Cut each piece of chicken into serving pieces and place on serving platter. Cover with sauce and sprinkle with chopped green onion.
Serve over a bed of rice.

(I think the kids probably would have eaten the chicken, they just all complained about the lemon sauce. So if I ever make this again...I'm crossing my fingers!...I would put the sauce on the side so those who don't like it could just have chicken. Hope I didn't scare anyone off from making this because it really was delicious...if it wasn't be sure I wouldn't be posting it!!:))

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...